Saturday

Drink: Best Summer Drink (non alcoholic) - Shirley Temple with a Twist

One of the great things about Cambodia is the proliferation of happy hours.  One of my all-time favourite happy hours is at the Victoria Angkor hotel in Siem Reap.  I'm sure I'll get around to doing a post on  the Victoria Angkor eventually. But, it was there that I first discovered the Shirley Temple with a twist.


I actually hadn't really heard of a Shirley Temple until a few years ago, which surprises me as a little girl I was mildly obsessed with Shirley Temple for a few years - so why did it take me so long to find out there was a drink?


Anyway, I have to admit that, when I finally did become acquainted with Shirley Temples in later life, I wasn't that impressed.  But the Victoria Angkor Shirley Temple changed my mind and so I was anxious to recreate it when I got home.


If you want to make it yourself you will need:

  • Ginger Ale
  • Grenadine
  • Limes


Or, if you want a more grown-up version, you can also add some Bacardi or Vodka.


Squeeze a dash lime juice into a glass (2-3 teaspoons, make sure there are no pips!); add some rum or vodka, if desired; fill with ginger ale; then pour in a dash of grenadine, and voila!

The lime gives the Shirley Temple a refreshing tartness and takes the edge off the sweetness, and the grenadine should give your drink a 'sunrise' effect.

The perfect summer drink after enduring the Cambodian heat.  Enjoy!





Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...