Wednesday

Go: Escape the city in Kep


I'm longing for a little break from Phnom Penh. Don't get me wrong, I love living here, but every so often I just feel the need to get out and have a break from the pollution and traffic and just chill. Unfortunately circumstances don't permit it at the moment, well at least not for another couple of months. But, if I could, I'd be spending my weekend reading a book in the hammock on the balcony of this bungalow.



This bungalow is in Kep, the perfect place to escape from Phnom Penh. Its only a few hours drive and the trip costs only a few dollars if you take the bus, or a bit more if you want splurge and get a taxi. If you're after great beaches, bars and parties then this is not the place for you. But if you want a quiet place by the sea to chill out and go for a bit of a wander, without being hassled by touts then go to Kep. (Last time I was there I actually saw the tourist police tell a tuk-tuk driver off for calling out to me!)


There's not a whole lot to do in Kep, but normally I go there because I don't want to do a whole lot. Maybe a bit of a wander around the mountain...


...lunch at the crab market



where you can watch someone fetch your lunch from the ocean when you order it.


Explore some abandoned villas and imagine yourself in the Kep of the 1960's, when it was the premier destination for Cambodia's elite.


Wander along the beach.


Or take a dip in a pool with ocean views.  (If your accommodation doesn't have a pool, you can always grab lunch somewhere that does, many resorts will let you use the pool if you eat there.  Last time I was in Kep we had lunch and a swim at Kep Lodge.)



And, at the end of busy day, doing not much, curl up in your hammock, and watch the sunset over the ocean.



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...