Tuesday

Eat: My go to place for lunch - The Shop, Street 240

I mentioned in one of my posts  a week or so ago that I always seem to end up eating at the same places, and, while I do want to branch out and try new places, there is usually a reason that I keep going back to my favourites.  The Shop on Street 240 is one place I never seem to tire of.



The Shop is somewhat of an institution among expats, it also happens to be my 'go to' place for lunch.  


The cafe is bright and airy and there is a small courtyard out the back, although my favourite spot is at one of the two tables just outside the front door. It does get busy at lunch time, but you can usually find a seat at the bar even if there are no tables.  



The staff are always so friendly, it feels like you've popped in to see friends.

They have a great range of fruit shakes and smoothies (try the Lychee Mint Cooler or the Pineapple Passion Smoothie) and an amazing selection of cakes.  

The menu changes weekly and always has a selection of soups, quiches, pies, salads, sandwiches and wraps.  In other words pretty much all your standard lunch fare is covered (and much of it for less than a fiver).  The menu often features things such as imported cheeses and lamb (my personal favourite - this lamb wrap was delicious!).


I generally try and avert my eyes from the cake cabinet to avoid temptation, everything in it looks and tastes amazing.  My personal fave is the Citrus cake, alternate layers of citrus curd and fluffy sponge covered in a thin layer of dark chocolate ganache, its heaven.  Tragically, the last time I visited it wasn't available and I settled on a chocolate eclair instead.


Washed down with a Cafe Latte, with homemade palm caramel.  I'm sure true coffee connoisseurs would not approve of the addition, but I love the caramelly sweetness of the palm caramel, and I get to feel good since I'm sure its healthier than refined white sugar. One day I'm going to figure out how to make that caramel as I think it would be heavenly poured over vanilla bean ice-cream.



If you do decide to lunch at the shop, don't forget to check out their homemade breads before you leave.  Its difficult to find good bread in Phnom Penh and The Shop has one of the better offerings.

Oh, and the breakfast menu is pretty good too ; )



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...